My So-Called 'Free' Country

This is a poem which I wrote for a school contest and won first prize in.

Title: My So-Called 'Free' Country

Inspired By: The sad state of the children doing dangerous work at construction sites. I decided to put myself in their shoes and write their pains in childhood which is supposed to be pleasant.

Poem: I live in a so-called 'Free' country,
In which even a child like me is forced to work.
The upper class have some liberty to stay around and 
watch us, poor, do all the work.

The 'democracy' thinks its fair
to not even let one single hair on our body rest.
I work all day,
My parents work every second,
And what do we get?
Few grains that are wet.

We are sold and harassed
What a democracy! No one to protest!
And if we REFUSE,
You what will happen?
We are tortured and hit,
Beaten and whipped.

So what do I want?
MY right, free education for every child.
Mercy is not needed, nor charity,
Just concern for humanity.

All I wish for is, 
everyone equal, no discrimination.
As rich and poor can both make a nation.
Child labour banned,
So our childhood does not come to an end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem Review: Judge Me Not

Book Series Review : Willow Falls Series

Hindi and English Friendship Quotes/ मित्रता पर विचार